Job 28 Discussion GuideRead Job 28 Online
For more context on this discussion, it might be helpful to read R. C. Sproul’s series on Christians and Science. Each one is a quick read.
I very briefly summarized the main idea of these articles below.
Belief in God and excellence in science go hand-in-hand.
- God’s mind is intelligent and orderly
- God made the world
- The world is built on a system of laws
- Science is built on the idea that laws dictate an identical outcome of two events that take place under identical circumstances
- The foundation of science is historically dependent on a belief in the rational God of Christianity
The idea of a university is based on the theory that all forms of knowledge are unified under Christ.
- All disciplines have a role to play in teaching Biblical wisdom
- All areas of learning are to be brought under the Lordship of Christ
- If God is the Lord of all understanding and wisdom, then there is nothing we can learn about the world that will knock Him off of his throne
Many of today’s societal problems have come about because we have forgotten that all knowledge is unified in God. This is why we can’t agree on objective standards of truth and how to find it.
Job 28:28 is a pivotal instruction upon which we need to meditate and take to heart.
- How do you define biblical wisdom?
- How do you think that we confine God to small area of life call “religion?”
- What are some areas of knowledge where we do not usually ask God for help in understanding His world?
- What might God have to say to a mathematician? A scientist? An historian? An artist?
- Why is it important for Christians to pursue excellence in many different fields of work and study?
- What do you think it means to fear God?
- What do you think it means to turn away from evil?
- How can we help each other to fear God and turn away from evil?
Pray for Our Missionaries
In your groups, continue to make global missions an item of prayer. In last week’s discussion guide I linked to an update on some of the persecutions of the unofficial churches in China.
This week, pray for mission leaders to be able to maintain access to train pastors and leaders in India. This is very much in jeopardy with the Hindu nationalist government in India right now.