Discussion Guide for 1 John 5:1-3
1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,1 John 5:1-3
John writes his epistle in a very circular style where he re-examines his previous points from different angles. The takeaway that is reemphasized in these verses is that there are three basic marks that will always be found together when a person has been born again from above:
- Belief that Jesus is the Christ
- Love for fellow believers
- Obedience to God’s commands
This is a text that should lead us to examine ourselves so that we can answer the most important question in life: Am I truly born again?
The marks should be very straightforward in evaluating, but they require to be honest about what we actually practice and believe with our lives
- What is the difference between belief and knowledge as it regards Jesus as savior?
- How do you prove that you have to love Christians to love God?
- How do you prove that love is more than an affectionate feeling?
- What are some practical ways to love Christians in this present age?
- How does religion sometimes make it more difficult to obey the actual commands of Jesus?
Engage in a time of prayer for one another. Make sure that every individual prayer request is prayed for by another individual in the group.
- Message: The Marks of Being Born of God