Deep Dive: Called to Missions
Are you called to missions? Austin and Jonathan discuss what that means in the 21st-Century church.
- What is your definition of missions?
- What is your favorite missionary biography? How did it influence your understanding of Acts 1:8?
- We live in Dallas, NC. What does our Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and ends of the earth look like?
Jonathan refers to his comments from 2 weeks ago. He thinks 18th century church music was superior to all other centuries, pointing to Handel’s Messiah as an example.
John Piper makes the great quote that the purpose of all missions is worship. Missions only exists because worship does not yet exist in many places.
- How do you maintain a focus on worship so you don’t get bogged down in the enormity of the task of missions?
How do I know if I'm called to missions?
Missionaries often speak about being "called to serve God" in a certain location. Jonathan talks about his own struggles with calling to ministry. He has never sensed a call to a particular place.
"My assumption has always been that I am called to reach the nations from wherever I am. And I should use whatever means God places at my disposal. What does the call of God to reach the nations should look like for a Christian? Particularly one who doesn’t rationally believe God is calling him/her to a hut in a village in Africa or India."
- How would you know if God is calling you to a strange and exotic place?