The Marks of Being Born of God
The Evidence That You Are Born of God
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
1 John 5:1-3
- Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.
- This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.
- In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome
There are three necessary marks that indicate someone has been born of God
- Belief in Jesus as Christ
The First mark that someone is truly born of God is belief in Jesus as the savior.
- “Everyone who believes…”
- “Everyone who believes has been born of God.”
- Belief is not something that leads to my birth; belief is the sign that my birth has already happened.
The Second mark that someone is truly born of God is that they love God.
2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.
- Love for God reflects the love he first had for us
- Love for God is not simply about what I get out of the deal…it truly desires to serve and glorify God
- Love is not a feeling, it’s an action word.
The Third Mark that someone is truly born of God and loves God is that they obey God.
3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome
- Love for God
- Love for God’s children and
- Obeying God
These three are tied to together so tightly that you have to do all three in order to do one.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Are you simply trying to validate yourself through your own ability to redefine the laws of God?
Assess the three marks in your own life (belief in Jesus, love for God/others, obedience to God).
What does the absence of any one of the three marks reveal about your salvation or spiritual maturity?
This Week's Music
We the Kingdom
© 2019 Andrew Bergthold Designee, Capitol CMG Genesis, Capitol CMG Paragon, We The Kingdom ASCAP Designee, We The Kingdom Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing). CCLI Song No. 7136448.
Words and music by Ed Cash/Scott Cash/Franni Cash/Andrew Bergthold/Martin Cash
God Of Revival
© 2019 Phil Wickham Music, Simply Global Songs, Sing My Songs (Admin by Essential Music Publishing) Bethel Music Publishing. CCLI Song No. 7133285.
Words and music by Phil Wickham/Brian Johnson
© Music by Elevation Worship Publishing, Open Hands Music, So Essential Tunes (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC). CCLI Song No. 7067580. Words and music by Jane Williams/Jason Ingram/Matthew Ntlele/Steven Furtick.