Today, we’re going to examine the 3 main passages from Austin’s message on why our calling matters. Read these passages together as a group and discuss what they mean in relation to the calling of God on our lives.
Read Matthew 16:23-27
- How would you summarize Jesus’ understand of the calling of his life?
- Was the cross something tragic that happened to Jesus or a calling that he embraced?
- What motivated Jesus to pursue the cross as a calling?
Read Luke 22:39-44
- Is calling an easy thing to grasp?
- Do you think it was easy for Jesus to embrace his calling?
- How do you know this from Scripture?
- Why should we not assume that our calling is simply the easiest path that we can pursue?
Read Ephesians 1:16-21
- Is our value supposed to be found in the task we are called to do or in the person who calls us to the task?
- Give an example of a time when you found joy in doing a task that wasn’t fun because you were asked to do it by someone you valued.
- Does the resurrection of Jesus have any importance to your calling?
Engage in a time of prayer for one another. Make sure that every individual prayer request is prayed for by another individual in the group.
This is also a good time to practice communion together as a group. Every though we’re meeting online, you can still do a “virtual communion.” Have everyone bring something to represent the bread (body of Christ) and the wine (blood of Christ).